*cover image credit : sisijemimah
Gizdodo is the combination of plantains and Gizzards (chicken gizzards) and Plantains mixed in Pepper Sauce. This recipe is great for midweek or weekend dinner because it’s so straightforward and of course tasty. Gizdodo is a delicacy you will find in parties because it’s a simple dish that delivers great flavor with minimal effort. Boiled pieces of gizzard are deep fried and mixed fried plantains poured over a simmering pepper and Tomato Sauce.
Ingredients ( serves 6)
Source- Chef Weenee of Cookpad
750g Chicken Gizzards
7 firmly ripe plantains
5-7 fresh tomatoes
10 fresh pepper (scotch bonnet/rodo)
5 medium sized green bell peppers
2 handfuls green peas(optional)
1 bulb red onion
1 ½ tsp curry powder
4 ½ cups Vegetable oil
1 ½ tbsp Ginger and garlic powder
Salt (to taste)
Gizdodo Recipe – Directions
- Wash, season and cook Gizzards for 20 minutes in little water till done, allow cool, then dice into sizeable chunks (leave the meat stock for later use).
- Peel plantains & dice too, then fry in some vegetable oil till a little golden brown, remove from the oil and set aside.
- Fry the Gizzards a little, then set aside.
- Chop up the tomatoes, carrots, green pepper, green beans and & Bell pepper (tatashe, remove the seeds because they give off a bitter taste in sauces) and set aside.
- Blend the remaining peppers; red chilli & scotch bonnet to be a little coarse (not smooth) with half the red onion, chop the remaining half separately for later use.
Now, all your ingredients are ready for the sauce.
- Heat up 180mls of vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat and stir fry the onions, blended peppers and chopped tomatoes to dry up a little.
- Add in the chopped vegetables etc and stir fry for another 1 minute.
- Add in the Dodo(fried plantain) & fried Gizzards and mix all thoroughly. Allow simmer again for 1 minute, then add in the meat stock(about a cup), 1 seasoning cube, curry, ginger and garlic powder and finally mix all the ingredients together.
*Don’t forget to taste for salt before adding any more salt or seasoning. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Serve warm as a lone meal or with boiled white rice, yam or pasta.
Kiitec.com has the best and freshest ingredients for any and all meals in your menu.